Sunday, 18 September 2011

A bedroom scene

Today's shoot- Lizzy's room.
I've just returned from the fifth day of filming. It was, on paper, a short scene. A character sat in her room. A little glimpse into the things that matter to her- items on her desk and wall.

Despite the lack of action, the level of detail I wanted to capture meant that, once again, I'd underestimated the amount of time needed- so three hours became closer to six! Still I'm very happy with the footage we've captured. Some concerns about the sound- the room faces a very busy road. My friend James, who essentially converted his front room into a bedroom set for us, has worked so hard in doing this, right down to the little details and trinkets, that even with the sound challenges I can't think of a more perfect location.

My father as guinea pig when my lighting kit arrived.
Today was a day that almost didn't happen. Lizzy's bus wouldn't start. As well as being my lead actress, she also acts as our taxi driver in collecting cast and crew in the converted bus that is also her home. I, in a moment of sheer stupidity left both a prop and light stand at home. And who was it who saved the day in both cases? Dad.

My father has actually been hugely supportive of my video production. Strange because he was the kind of dad who would ask 'how is this going to help your education?' when I spent money on films or games whilst growing up.

Today's shoot- soiling posters to give them an aged look.
I remember him saying 'i'm proud of you,' after having seen my Ethiopian horror film, and I wonder if that warmed him to the idea of film making as something valid. I was similarly surprised when he didn't freak when hearing I had spent the value of a car on my camera, and the enthusiasm and time he's given me in taking me to locations, acting as guinea pig a I experimented with lighting, and bought food for cast and crew. It's nice to believed in and to have that support.

Today's shoot- Debra in the garden
I think filming is also not just a means to an end but also a fun experience in and of itself. I'm lucky in that my cast and crew are friends and we laugh and joke and have patience for each other. I've seen the confidence of each of us grow as time has passed.

Though I have used storyboards in the past I've found I quite enjoy arriving at a scene and thinking on my feet about what would look best. I hope that's not just laziness, but it also means I share ideas with others about what may or may not look good. It's taken time to stop worrying about not having everything meticulously plotted out, though I also think we're far from sloppy also.

Today's shoot- Lee gets the giggles.
It's a fantastic process but also a draining one. I always collapse into a pile after a filming day, but, more often than not, a pile that feels some sense of satisfaction.


No comments:

Post a Comment